RIP Alan Rickman, aka Severus Snape

Alan+Rickman+attends+the+BAFTA%2C+hosting+%27A+Life+in+Pictures+with+Alan+Rickman%27+event+on+April+15%2C+2015+in+London.+

Courtesy Tribune News Service

Alan Rickman attends the BAFTA, hosting 'A Life in Pictures with Alan Rickman' event on April 15, 2015 in London.

Tea Smith, Staff Reporter

Alan Rickman, probably best remembered by our generation as the actor who portrayed Surverus Snape in the film adaptations of the “Harry Potter” book series, has passed away at the age of 69 after a short battle with cancer. His death was confirmed by his family on Thursday, January 14, who said that he was surrounded by his loved ones at the time of his death.

Rickman rose to fame in the United States in 1988 as the villain Hans Gruber in the film “Die Hard.” He went on to star in many successful movies over the duration of his long career in film, most notably the Harry Potter franchise.

The cast and crew of the “Harry Potter” films were some of the first people to publicly pay their respects.

J.K. Rowling, the author of the series, took to Twitter to remember Rickman. Rowling tweeted, “There are no words to express how shocked and devastated I am to hear of Alan Rickman’s death. He was a magnificent actor & a wonderful man.”

Emma Watson (who played Hermione Granger in the Potter films), wrote on Facebook to express how lucky she was to have worked and spent time with “such a special man and actor,” also saying that she will miss the conversations they had.

Daniel Radcliff, the titular character of the Harry Potter franchise, wrote a lengthy post on Google+ recounting memories and sharing kind words about the actor. He described Rickman as one of the “loyalest and most supportive people” in the film industry.

Other actors in the franchise took to social media to express the heartache they feel over the loss of their friend and cast mate. Devon Murray, portrayed Seamus Finnigan, tweeted “Today a friend, a role model and a truly amazing person lost his battle. I have so many good memories. #Always #RipAlanRickman.”

Many fans of the Harry Potter films were saddened by the tragic loss of Alan Rickman.  People unfamiliar with the original books grew up thinking Snape was a villain, and this seems symbolic of his acting career.

Rickman as Snape, easily his most famous role.
Couresty Tribune News Service.

Maggi Veiga, a student at IRHS, said, “I find it sad that he died. He was one of my favorite actors from Harry Potter.”

Judging by all the responses in the news media and online, the entire world is saddened by the loss of the beloved British actor who helped bring life to many wonderful characters.