Leonardo DiCaprio Wins An Oscar… Finally

Courtesy of Tribune News Service

LEO FINALLY WINS OSCAR!!!

Tea Smith, Staff Reporter

After being nominated a total of six times, Leonardo DiCaprio has finally won an Oscar. The world has been waiting for the day we finally get to hear the world “Academy Award winning actor Leonardo DiCaprio” in an introduction for DiCaprio instead of “Academy Award nominated actor Leonardo DiCaprio,” and it’s finally here.

Leonardo DiCaprio was nominated for his first Academy Award in 1993 in the category best supporting actor for his role in the indie film What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.  DiCaprio starred as Arnie, Johnny Depp’s mentally handicapped younger brother who always finds himself in trouble. DiCaprio received critical acclaimed for his performance, but untimely lost to Tommy Lee Jones for his role in The Fugitive.

DiCaprio was not nominated for another Oscar until over a decade later. Leonardo gained a best actor Oscar nomination for his role in 2004’s The Aviator. DiCaprio portrays director and aviator Howard Hughes’ life and career in the biopic. Despite the film winning several other Academy Awards that night, DiCaprio did not take home the Oscar. Jamie Foxx won for his role as Ray Charles in Ray.

Two years later, DiCaprio was once again nominated for best actor for his role in the film Blood Diamond.  DiCaprio was nominated for his role as Danny Archer, a white South African mercenary in a civil war waging in Sierra Leone in the 1990s. DiCaprio ended up losing to Forest Whitaker’s portrayal of Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland.

Another seven years would pass before Leo would see another Oscar nomination. DiCaprio was nominated for best actor and best picture (as a producer) in The Wolf of Wall Street. DiCaprio starred as Jordan Belfort, a Wall Street stockbroker who served time in prison for defrauding investors in a massive scam. DiCaprio went home empty handed that night too, losing to Matthew McConaughey for his role in Dallas Buyer’s Club and the film 12 Years a Slave.

Maggi Viega, a student at IRHS, said, “I think it’s cool that he [DiCaprio] finally won an Oscar.”

Twenty-three years after his first nomination, Leonardo DiCaprio has finally won his first Academy Award for his role in the film The Revenant. With his victory came the death of one of the most famous memes on the internet, but nevertheless the world is happy to finally be able to call Leonardo DiCaprio an Academy Award winner.