Top 5 Classic Cartoon Network Shows

Anderson Graphics

Screenshot from Cartoon Network's Youtube channel.

Tea Smith, Staff Reporter

Last year, it was announced that Cartoon Network would be bring back the popular animated series Powerpuff Girls but with different voice actors and a new look, and on Monday night the first episode of the reboot premiered. The network is having a premier week, instead of just one night, with a new episode airing night at 6 pm. This isn’t the first series reboot and it probably won’t be the last so why not take a look back at some of best animated series that the channel aired in the late 90s to the 2010s.

(Ratings out of ten are linked from tv.com users)

Powerpuff Girls (1998-2005)

Rating: 8.2/10

The series centered around three little girl who were created by Professor Utonium in his lab. In an attempt to create the perfect little girl, the professor combined sugar, spice, and everything nice. He did however accidentally spill “Chemical X” into the concoction and in an explosion the girls were born. The girls used their super powers to protect the city of Townsville from bad guys.

Teen Titans (2003-2006)

Rating: 8.8/10

Based on the DC Comics characters of the same name, the series focused on Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, Raven, and Beast Boy as they fought crime and dealt with typical teenage problems. This series also got a reboot, Teen Titans Go, in April of 2013 that has not seen as much success amongst fans as its predecessor, getting a rating of 2.2/10 on TV.com.

Dexter’s Laboratory (1996-2003)

Rating: 8.6/10

The series followed young boy prodigy named Dexter and his everyday struggle of trying to keep his lab a secret. All Dexter wants to do to invent things in his lab but between keeping his lab a secret, his annoying older sister Dee Dee always barging into his lab, and his arch nemesis Mandark trying to take control of his lab, it is not easy.

Johnny Bravo (1997-2004)

Rating: 8.7/10

The cartoon follow it’s titular character, Johnny Bravo, who thinks he’s a gift to women even though everyone else sees him as a narcissistic mama’s boy who just can’t take a hint. No matter how he approaches women, he always strikes out.

Total Drama (series; 2007-2014)

Rating: 8.5/10

The series is essentially an animated reality show that follows 22 teens competing in physical challenges at a rundown summer camp over the course of 60 days. Every season sees a name change and occasionally new cast member/characters competing in different kinds of challenges depending on the theme of the season.

The Cartoon Network has over the years offered children and adolescents a wide variety of animated programming, some good and some bad, but channel still remains one of the best for animated programming.