2016: Year of Celebrity Deaths

Courtesy of Tribune News Service.

Memorial at David Bowie's Hollywood star in Los Angeles.

Monoah Brown, Staff Reporter

2016 has been a huge year for the amount of celebrities that have passed away. Lemmy Kilmister, a Motorhead singer died of cancer at the age of 78 on December 2015, and after that more and more deaths started happening week by week.

From Natalie Cole, passing on New Year’s eve 2015, all the way to Fritz Weaver, passing in Nov 2016 at 90 years old, over 80 celebrities passed away in the span of five months. Many people are beginning to wonder if 2016 is the worst year on record for celebrity deaths, and we still have over a month to go.

Each and every actor, or celebrity played an important role in the entertainment business.

People like Frank Sinatra Jr, David Bowie, John Berry, Muhammad Ali, Christina Grimmie, Arnold Palmer, Florence Henderson, Prince, and many many more celebrities all passing away from either old age, or shocking tragedy.

David Bowie, famously known for his fashion, roles in movies, and hit songs like “Space Oddity” and “Let’s Dance” died Jan. 10, after his 18-month battle with cancer. Bowie passed two days after his 69th birthday.

Most of them died from natural causes, or old age. There were the select few that just so happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Like Shawty Lo, a rapper and member of hip hop group “Laffy Taffy” was killed in an apparent hit and run crash at age 40. Anton Yelchin, an actor in Terminator Salvation and Star Trek [and Odd Thomas – Ed.], died June 18 at age 27 after being run over by his own rolling car, at his home in California

Christina Grimmie, a contestant on the popular show “The Voice” passed away June 11 at age 22 after being shot at a concert in Orlando.

A name that many IRHS students will recognize, popular author Harper Lee, who wrote “To Kill A Mockingbird,” died February 19 at age 89.

This is just a select few of celebrities that we had to say goodbye to during the year of 2016. It is very unfortunate that it all had to happen in one year, but not one person will be forgotten. They will all be missed, and remembered for their acts upon the entertainment business.