Best Christmas Movie? Plenty of Classics to Choose From

Screenshot from the 1964 claymation version of Rudolph.

Meghan Koerick, Staff Reporter

There are many Christmas movies that a lot of people feel necessary to watch every year.

1. Elf, starring Will Ferrell is a classic Christmas comedy. Buddy the Elf grew up at the North Pole with Santa, but after learning he is not actually an elf he goes to New York City and finds his father and love.  Elf teaches people to believe in Santa and the magic and happiness of the Christmas season.
  2. It’s A Wonderful Life, with a release date in 1946 still to this day is a Christmas classic. George Bailey, played by Jimmy Stewart, lives in the small town of Bedford Falls (which may be based on an actual town in New York state) and contemplates suicide. But on Christmas Eve is visited by his guardian angel who shows George how he has impacted everyone in the town and what would have happened if he was never born. The moral of the story is to love the people around you and value them more than anything.
  3. A Christmas Story, which is often quoted around the Christmas season. A young boy attempts to convince everyone that a ‘Red Ryder BB gun’ is the perfect gift. The whole story shows it’s good to dream big and not to get discouraged even when you get knocked down.
  4. The Polar Express, a lesson in believing based on a book by Chris Van Allsburg. A little boy that doubts Santa Claus’ existence takes a magical trip on a train to the North Pole and meets Santa himself. Every character learns a different lesson while taking the trip to the North Pole. This movie stars many famous voices, including Tom Hanks who plays four different parts.
  5. Home Alone, an adventure and comedy that stars an eight year old. After he was accidentally left home for Christmas vacation the little boy protects his home from a pair of burglars. This is a funny movie that teaches many different lessons to children [like the joy of hitting strangers in the head with blunt objects? -Ed.].
  6. Scrooged, starring Bill Murray is a more modern take on Charles Dickens “A Christmas Carol.” A selfish T.V. executive is visited by three Christmas spirits on Christmas Eve and learns that he needs to change his ways. This Christmas classic teaches people to get into the Christmas spirit and to be a better person.
  7. Dr. Suess’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas is another (made-for-TV) movie that teaches the love and spirit of the Christmas season.  When the Grinch decides to ruin the Who’s Christmas he learns the true meaning of Christmas. There are many different versions of this movie, the original animation and the live version starring Jim Carrey as the Grinch.
  8. A Charlie Brown Christmas is an original Peanuts movie that shows christmas cheer and the spirit all around. Charlie Brown is upset with Christmas and Lucy boosts his Christmas spirit by directing the Christmas Pageant but when that does help Charlie he need Linus to help learn what the meaning of Christmas is.
  9. Rudolph The Rednose Reindeer is a tale about a unique reindeer that doesn’t fit in because of his shiny red nose. He goes on an adventure to try to figure out where he fits in and ends up running into the Abominable Snowman and a whole island of misfit toys. This claymation is a Christmas classic that shows people it is perfectly okay to be different and might even help you save the day.
  10. Frosty the Snowman is another Christmas Classic that represents the magic of the season. When the children build a snowman a magic hat brings him to life but an evil professor wants the hat to himself. This teaches kids the magic and spirit of Christmas and is an overall good entertaining story.