Student news site of Indian River High School.

Warrior Ink

Kids Love Fidget Spinners, But are they a Distraction in Class?

Composite image.

Composite image.

Daniella Pimpinella, Staff Reporter

Fidget Spinners are the new hit toy for children–about that there is no doubt.  Sales are so rapid some places can barely keep them in stock.

But some parents and even education professionals say they are used to help kids with anxiety, ADHD, and ADD. According to an article in the Washington Post, Melissa Ferry is a big believe in the benefits of allowing students to use fidget toys in the classroom. She says they allow children with especially ADHD to focus better.

In my opinion, I feel like they should be allowed at schools for children with disabilities. Two of my brothers are in middle school, one has ADHD, and the other ADD.  They both they have fidget spinners. I’ve personally noticed how much better they focus when coming home and doing their homework.

I get that these items may be somewhat of a distraction to students while in school because some fidget spinners light up and make noise, but students with disabilities should have the opportunity to be allowed to have them while at school.

Based on recent events, it seems some of the staff and the administration at Indian River Middle School apparently think that they could be used as weapons. My question is how? How on earth can a fidget spinner be used as a weapon? What can you do to hurt someone with a fidget spinner? Their school has also banned them from the school and are not allowing students to have one while on campus even if it’s in your backpack.

My oldest brother Michael Pimpinella has a high stage of ADHD and has a really hard time focusing. When he heard about fidget spinners, he wanted one so my mother went ahead and bought him one. The next day he came home and told us a story about what happened in study hall that day.

A certain teacher asked my brother, “what’s that in your hand?” He replied, “A fidget spinner that helps children with A.D.H.D focus better in school.”  This teacher told him that if he didn’t put it away she would write him up. He then asked “Why? It is not hurting anyone and it is helping me focus on my work.” But for asking this question, he was sent to the principal’s office.

In my opinion, that is ridiculous. Fidget spinners are not hurting anyone. They are just trying to help students focus more and not get in trouble.

The high school does not have any specific policy about spinners, but is instead leaving it up to individual teachers to decide whether they are allowed. This could create an issue if a student is allowed to use the spinner in one class but not another.

446 total views, 6 views today

1 Comment

One Response to “Kids Love Fidget Spinners, But are they a Distraction in Class?”

1. Karina Fortner on May 10th, 2017 5:45 pm

I personally don’t see why these spinners are banned. The Middle school policy states it can be used as a weapon, honestly everything can be used as a weapon. I can see how it helps children with high functioning disabilities. I can also understand how it can be seen as a distraction but why ban them from the children that get help with it.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Kids Love Fidget Spinners, But are they a Distraction in Class?

News

Photo of the Week 5/29/17

Health and/or Fashion

Martin Galindo and the Deathly Nachos

Local

Decorating of Graduation Caps Allowed by Board of Education

Crime

Mock Accident Scene Staged at IRHS Prior to Prom

Local

Review: Red Robin is Actually #Yummm

• Local

Jefferson County SPCA In Need Of New Director

Crime

President Duterte Declares Martial Law in Part of the Philippines

News

Photo of the Week 5/29/17

Crime

Manchester Suicide Attack at Ariana Grande Concert

Health and/or Fashion

Martin Galindo and the Deathly Nachos