Among Us: Imposters vs. Crewmates for Mobile Dominance

Composite image by the author.

Randy "Ren" Wagstaff, Entertainment Reporter

Among Us is a phone app and a computer app that has been quite the rage since August 2020. It had been out a while before that, but suddenly everyone was playing.

The main point of this game is to figure out who of the crewmates is an imposter – before the imposter kills everyone or sabotages critical things. The game is 4-10 players and can have up to 3 imposters per game.

Crewmates have to either complete certain Tasks or figure out who the imposters are using wits and suspicions. Crewmates can buddy up, or watch the security cameras. Imposters can sabotage by locking doors, breaking equipment, dimming the lights, and so on, so they can kill the remaining crewmates. The list of tasks gets longer the more stuff the imposters sabotage.

When a dead player’s body is found, any player, crewmate or imposter even, can report the body, or press the emergency button in the main area of the map. Imposters can use this to their advantage in two different ways. In situations where an imposter is in the same room as two crewmates, the imposter can kill one and put the blame on the other crewmate.

Crewmates are able to do certain tasks, but imposters can’t, and they have to fake it, so to make it interesting, imposters can travel through a vent to certain areas, but since crewmates can’t, sometimes they can catch an imposter venting, making the game even more exhilarating.

If a body is reported or someone presses the emergency button, the crewmates and imposters can discuss and vote off people who act “sus” (suspicious), or skip voting entirely.

If the crewmates can complete all tasks or reveal the imposters, the crewmates will win, but if the imposter(s) kills a certain amount of crewmates, the imposter(s) will win. Crewmates who are dead can continue to do Tasks

Why is Among Us such an addicting game? Each game takes between 3-10 minutes, and depending on the way you play it (there are lots of ways you can tweak the rules), so it can be a really fun time waster.

While anyone who can read can play, there’s definitely some strategy involved, especially when it comes to communicating with other players. You can play local games against family members in the same house if everyone agrees to not talk during the game.

If you’re playing random public matches online, you can type to the other players, but when playing with friends online, you can join a call, put yourself on mute while playing, and unmute when you have to discuss and vote. If you die, you keep yourself on mute for the rest of the game and see how other players interact with the rest of the game.

One Indian River graduate Dylan Wagstaff (my brother) has stated “The games are short so you can play a lot of games in a short period of time and it’s always fun to not know who the imposter is.”

Mr. Drew Bretsch, a teacher at Indian River High School stated “I like the psychological side of the game, trying to figure out who did it or try to manipulate as the imposter. Also, it’s a good way for friends to connect during this time of COVID.”