Coffee is Not Just for Staying Awake…Now It’s Healthy?

Lex Minnick, Business Manager, Editor

Coffee has always had a stigma that it stunts growth or is bad for your health, but have you ever thought it could possibly be healthy and a lifesaver?

A study was done by the Harvard School of Public Health, and was much larger than many previous studies, involving 200,000 women and 50,000 men, looking at the amount of coffee consumed along with the food they ate and other drinks consumed. Then researchers looked at the rates of disease and death from the past two decades.

The study originally was slow going and showed few results to directly link coffee and the disease and death rates. The results were at a very low percentage.

But researchers then narrowed the results by looking at people had never smoked before, giving back much more results than before. Those participants who drank less than one cup to three decreased their rates by 6% to 8%, whereas those who drank three to five cups were lowered by 12% to 15%.

One of the hardest parts of the actual study was that smoking and drinking coffee often have a correlation, skewing the results on solely drinking coffee.

Coffee’s health benefits could come from the ingredients found in roasted and ground coffee. Lignans and chlorogenic acid can reduce inflammation which helps lower blood sugar lowering the risk of heart disease.

Ding (who?) and her colleagues found that drinking coffee reduced the likelihood of dying from a heart disease by 10%. Also, coffee drinkers have a lower risk of dying from disease such as dementia and Parkinson’s by 9% to 37%.

Suicide rates were also apparently affected by drinking coffee. Those who didn’t drink coffee had 36% higher rates, whereas those who had a least a cup a day had 20% to 36% lower rates.

The specific results aren’t completely related to drinking coffee. Some other thoughts have been that possibly people who drink coffee are more apt to get a job or live certain lifestyles. Although those are only assumptions, not proven. Many people are excited over these studies since many people enjoy drinking coffee.

Madelyn Renda, 15, sophomore at IRHS, says, “I love coffee and I’m so happy to find out that it is possible that it can be healthy for you!”

So next time someone drinks coffee, they can think, I could truly be helping myself from possible diseases in the future.