Attacks by Boko Haram Continue

Map+and+timeline+of+recent+Boko+Haram+terrorist+attacks+in+Nigeria.++

Courtesy MCT Campus Service.

Map and timeline of recent Boko Haram terrorist attacks in Nigeria.

Gabi Caballero, Junior Terrorism Correspondent

Boko Haram, the militant group who kidnapped almost 300 girls from a boarding school in Chibok, has take responsibility for recent attacks in several small villages in Nigeria which have subsequently killed 48 people.

Apagu Maidaga from Alagarno village, one of the three viallages that were attacked on Tuesday, May 20th,  said that the residents of the village were hiding in the bushes, watching as their homes were set ablaze and they lost everything.

“We saw our village up in flames as we hid in the bush waiting for the dawn; we lost everything,” Maidaga told The Associated Press in a phone call.

On Wednesday, May 21, President Barack Obama announced that the US is sending 80 military personnel to aid in the search for the missing Nigerian schoolgirls. Obama told House Speaker John Boehner in a letter that the 80 service members were being sent to Chad, which is on the border of northeastern Nigeria, for intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance aircraft missions over Nigeria and the regions nearby.

Lt. Col. Myles Caggins said the the US is simply helping the drone search and the last deployment will not be helping in the ground search.

A Predator drone is an addition to the Global Hawks which are already being used says a senior U.S official who spoke anonymously since he was not authorized to speak of the matter publicly, according to the CBC. The new flights will be based out of Chad and will allow the military to expand the search for the girls.

The insurgents demanded a two for one deal in which the Nigerian government would release 2 prisoners from the terrorist group in return for 1 of the Nigerian girls. President Jonathan Goodluck refused this proposition and has received international criticism for his lack of results in the efforts to find the missing girls.

The search for victims in the central city of Jos from the twin bombing attack continues. So far, 118 lives have been taken. Many people are blaming the Islamic insurgent group for the attack, although they have not claimed responsibility at this time.

Many of the victims were women and children vendors, according to Mohammed Adulsalam of the National Emergency Management Agency. He said, “We expect to find more bodies in the rubble.”

Many people fear what the Islamic insurgent group will do next. It seems like they have no limits and attempts to bring them down continue with little good results.