Two dollars…and a dream of $1.4 billion?

Courtesy Tribune News Service

A customer in South Carolina buys a Powerball ticket.

Lex Minnick, Business manager, Editor

Thought you were feeling lucky this weekend? Maybe wanted to win a little extra pocket money? Powerball was probably what was on your mind and which numbers would win the big money. Each Powerball ticket is only two dollars, cheap compared to the amount someone could potentially win.

16-19-32-34-57 were the five winning numbers while the “Powerball” number was 13. The chances of winning the Powerball are 1 in 292.2 million people. 95% of the tickets bought by people allowed the computer to generate their numbers for them instead of choosing their own numbers. In order to win, the participant has to match five numbers between 1 and 69 and then the Powerball number which is between 1 and 26. The participant has to get all six numbers correct and in the correct order to win the Powerball.

The Powerball this weekend would’ve been $588.8 million after all taxes and expenses were taken out. Unfortunately, no one won the official Powerball. 25 tickets sold each won $1 million for matching the five numbers while three other tickets each won $2 million by spending more in order to double their winnings.

In California alone, $37 million in tickets were sold on Friday and on Saturday $59.1 million were sold in tickets before the drawing. Over $1 billion in tickets were sold nationwide. The game is played in three US territories and 44 states.

The jackpot is now up to $1.4 billion, as of early Monday morning. This is the largest prize in world history. The jackpot is continuously growing with the next drawing happening Wednesday. The Powerball is picked every Wednesday and Saturday.

“It’s drawing more and more attention as the jackpot continues to grow larger,” stated Tyrell Thomas, a Syracuse University student.

Places in Texas and other states are advertising the Powerball on their billboards…yet the billboards weren’t set up to even show billions, meaning they’re displaying the jackpot as $999 million.  The amount has even attracted international news coverage.