Celebrations of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Across the Country and Globe

Courtesy Tribune News Service

An MLK Day parade in Los Angeles.

DeShawn Smith, Staff Reporter

Monday, January 18 we celebrated a leader of our nation, the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr. A civil rights leader and an activist that fought for African American’s rights.

On this day that people pay their respects to Martin Luther King, Jr., Black Lives Matter protesters came together to block part of the San Francisco Bay Bridge.  This might have been the first organized action of the group in the New Year, and likely won’t be the last.

Five cars drove along with each other and came to a complete stop to block the bridge and then chained the cars to the side of the bridge, according to Mediaite.

Police soon arrived and detached the cars from the side of the bridge, and for the charge of continuous blockade, the police arrested 24 people.

“Peace is more precious than diamonds or silver or gold,” said Martin Luther King, Jr.

On this day for one day only, a meeting in Kabul will be set to try and end the war in Afghanistan. Executives from Afghanistan, Pakistan, China, and the United States were there for a second time for peace. What other day to do it than Martin Luther King, Jr’s day, the day of peace.

This day is celebrated every third Monday of January which is close to his actual birthday, January 15.

King once said, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?”

On this day, the Obamas went to a Washington, D.C elementary school to help with a community service project. They helped the school plant a garden bed, some vegetables, and gave the school a bag of books. One of the books included was Dr Seuss’s, “Oh The Things You Can Do That Are Good For You.”  

Fellow student, Amiere Bell, had this to say about Dr. Martin Luther King, “In the end Martin Luther King helped the African American community, he told the truth and made everyone realize that they should stop fighting [promoting non-violence] no matter where they came from.”