Tens of Thousands of People Protest Against Trump Presidency

Courtesy of Tribune News Service.

People have turned out by the hundreds and thousands in cities across America to protest against the climate of hatred and social regression they feel characterizes the Trump campaign.

Bre Williams, Staff Reporter

[While the numbers of protests and protesters is accurate and factual, the following is an opinion piece which does not necessarily represent the views of the the entire Warrior Ink staff, nor any Indian River employees or Board members.]

The right of people to “peaceably assemble” in order to protest against things they feel are wrong is spelled out in the First Amendment of the Constitution. So anyone who doesn’t “believe” that people have the right to protest the election of President Trump doesn’t know basic facts about the law in America.

The protests began the morning of November 9, and have continued almost daily in many parts of the country.  In some parts of the Southwest, students have staged large walk-outs of university campuses and even high schools to specifically address Trump’s ideas about immigration.

You may not agree with Trump protesters, but I think that they do have some good information and arguments on why they’re protesting. Trump protesters all around the U.S. are upset about Trump’s health care policies (no plan to replace ACA, just to destroy it), the environment (appointing a climate-change-denier to run the Environmental Protection Agency), LGBT rights (VP Pence once campaigned on a platform of supporting highly controversial “conversion therapy” for gay people) and other issues. 

Saturday, November 12, 2,000 people marched at total of two miles, blocking off major streets, to join protests outside Trump tower in New York City. In Los Angeles, the police there estimated well over 8,000 anti-Trump protesters. San Francisco saw major protests too. Smaller protests have happened in less populated cities as well, in many parts of the nation.

If I were to have been one of these protesters I would have made it a priority to let as many people know my political views on Trump and how I feel about the racial violence happening to minorities; there have been so many recent instances of hate speech and bias incidents reported just in New York state that the Commissioner of Education has warned schools to be on the lookout for such things. 

Being a young adult and of mixed race, my views may be different than others. Many people have made fun of or tried to make this situation a joke, even asking me “which side are you going to take” meaning what ethical side am I going to take, being that I’m both black and white.

This comment, by a fellow classmate, really did frighten me. Does the color of my skin, or who my parents are, affect whether I’m on the “right” side of a Donald Trump America? Can one person make such a difference just becoming president? Have people forgot that there are other branches of government you have to go through, to pass any laws?