Fort Drum’s Culinary Team Successful in Competition

Screenshot from Watertown Daily Times

Brittney Baker, Staff Reporter

Fort Drum’s Culinary Team went to the 42nd Military Culinary Arts Competitive Training event on March 7th 2017, at Fort Lee, Virginia. They proudly came home with a total of 23 medals from their efforts.

According to Spectrum News, all together the 10th Mountain Division Culinary Team won collectively two gold, 15 silver, and six bronze medals.

In total, there were ten chefs from the 10th Mountain Division, and the team consisted of three chefs from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, who won two gold and three silver medals in independent categories. The team manager, Sergeant First Class Michael Bogle, team manager, states, “This is the best Fort Drum has done since 1999.”

SFC Bogle also personally earned a gold medal for his cold pastry entry – an Ancho chili mousse with a passion fruit curd center, wrapped in sponge cake, a tulie cookie with a pulled sugar spiral, a pina colada sorbet with pistachio clusters, strawberry sauce and braised pineapple and macerated fruits. In the Spectrum News article   

According to the Watertown Daily Times article, Private First Class. Huy Nguyen was named Student Chef of the Year. He created the menu of: a raspberry soufflé with a chocolate truffle center, powdered sugar dusting, a Victorian butter cookie with espresso aglaise sauce and macerated fruit and pistachio ice cream with a pistachio crumble.

Because PFC Nguyen won in this category, he will be given a chance to compete at the American Culinary Federation National Convention in July as well as an invitation to join the the U.S. Army Culinary Arts Team. Nguyen was also presented with a trophy and a Stratford University scholarship during the awards ceremony Friday.

Nguyen told Spectrum News “The feeling when my name was called is indescribable…in my head, I told myself that this trophy isn’t for me, it was for my team. They supported me since day one. It was an amazing feeling seeing the looks on my team’s faces, knowing I made them all proud and also knowing I made my Family proud.”