Record-Size Giant Dinosaur Footprints Found in Australia

Screenshot from CNN.

Gabrielle Gautier, Staff Reporter

Around one hundred and thirty million years ago, in the most northwestern corner of Australia, lived one of the largest dinosaurs ever before recorded. According to CNN reporting, proof of this dinosaur’s existence lays in the extra large footprint found in the Dampier Peninsula.

Surprisingly little is known about the specifics of the owner of the foot print. Paleontologists from the University at Queensland have decided that the owner is most likely a sauropod, meaning an herbivore with a long neck.

The footprint found is measured to be 69 inches in diameter, or five feet nine inches. To make a track that big, a dinosaur would have to be close to seventeen feet tall at the hip.  This also breaks the record of the massive carnivore print found in Bolivia last year.

This is not the first discovery of dinosaur remains in this part of Australia. Over the last few years, over 21 tracks from all different dinosaurs. All of these dinosaur tracks indicate that the Dampier Peninsula had the one of the most diverse group of dinosaurs living in one place, setting a new record for future discoveries.

Along with the giant sauropod and the many other fossilized footprints, paleontologists have also found proof that the stegosaurus, another large dinosaur from the late Jurassic period, also lived in this part of Australia millions of years ago.

Steve Salisbury, a professor at the University of Queensland and leading author in the study, told CNN during an interview that footprints as large as the sauropod is always an amazing find for paleontology; he even went on to say this track is one of the best they could find.

Some people are even going as far as to say the northwestern part of the continent is the “Australian Jurassic Park.” According to the scientists involved with the study, the conditions of the Dampier Peninsula are perfect for preserving dinosaur tracks for them to find millions of years after the actual dinosaurs’ extinction.