Student news site of Indian River High School.

Warrior Ink

Jefferson County SPCA In Need Of New Director

Gabrielle Gautier, Animal Enthusiast

Since 2012, the Jefferson County SPCA has been operated under the same director. Executive Director Douglas J.  Marlow has served the organization on the board of directors for around five years. In an interview with Watertown Daily Times, he stated that, while his whole family loves animals and were involved with their care at the SPCA, it was his children who talked him into applying for the job.

Marlow has a history of working for causes he finds important; mostly in the medical field. At one point he served as the CEO at  Mercy Care and oversaw community health centers in Watertown, Canton, and Malone.

The Watertown Daily Times also noted that  Marlow worked on a salary basis, making $51,981 as the shelter director in 2014.

While the people at the SPCA will miss Marlow after he leaves, they are still searching for a new director to take his place. The new director needs to be someone with exceptional organization skills, dedication to animals’ well being, and confidence. Four years of management experience wouldn’t hurt too much either. Marlow worked full time, weekends, holidays, and even extended hours on some cases. The new director would be expected to do the same. The job posting states that salary is commensurate with experience.

In recent SPCA history, the shelter has taken in twenty-one dogs out of kill-shelters across the country. Jefferson County prides themselves on being a no-kill shelter, and in doing so, they rescue dogs whenever they have the kennel space for them. Unfortunately they cannot take in too many dogs that need rescuing from kill-shelters due to limited space.

Even if you can’t apply to be the shelter director, if you have a love for animals, there’s still other ways you can help. Money donations are always accepted and shelter staff is very minimal, so most of the care animals receive is through volunteer work. They’re always looking for more volunteers, so any kind of help is appreciated. To find a volunteer application, you can go to the shelter in person or go to their website and print one out at http://www.jeffersoncountyspca.org/volunteer-opportunities.html

280 total views, 8 views today