Hurricane Florence kills 35, Toll May Still Rise with Flooding

Composite image by Anderson Graphics.

Briana Hemingway, Staff Reporter

The hurricane in the Carolinas, named Florence, is a terrible tragedy. Places that people call home are now flooded over with water and the death toll is still rising, 35 Americans dead at press time.  

(Many Indian River students have either lived in area (Fort Bragg in particular) or have relatives in either North or South Carolina; this reporter has lived there.)

When Hurricane Florence was approaching mostly all of coastal North and South Carolina were told to evacuate. As some did not leave, that decision put them in a terrible place. Many people are stuck in their homes not knowing what to do, as well as numerous pets that were left behind. Most people will come back to a home totally ruined or very badly damaged as a result of the storm.

Wind speeds got up to an all time high of 105 mph for North Carolina. As well as rain accumulation, which reached thirty-five inches. 1.1 Million people were left without power as a result of this storm.

Even though the storm itself has calmed down, many rivers in the Carolinas are expected to crest nearly 13 feet over their normal levels, which will make flooding worse for many people living in the surrounding areas.

As the majority of the rivers in that area empty into the Atlantic, when they do flood over, the places that already got flooded with rain and storm surges will be hit once again. Which puts more people at risk and others for oncoming risk. After Tuesday night after its five day visit to the Carolinas, Hurricane Florence is expected to dissipate into the Atlantic Ocean.