Warrior Ink

Students’ Voices: Thoughts on President Trump

Back to Article
Back to Article

Composite Image by author.

Composite Image by author.

Composite Image by author.

Chelsea Coss, Editor in Chief

The president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.” -Anonymous source from the inner White House, in a editorial published by the New York Times. 

The election of 2016, left quite a shock on the United States. Donald Trump has been the 45th president for almost 2 years now. Raised in Queens and at least nominally a Republican now, he is currently 72 years old.

While the rumors are still swirling about who this anonymous editorial writer is, who claims to be part of a “resistance” protecting the country, we decided to check in with the students here at IRHS. Here is what she found:

12th Grader, “I’m not a fan, I don’t think he’s right to be the president. I think he’s done some good work, but I feel he’s not the best for what he’s doing.”

9th Grader, “He’s made mistakes, but he has a future as a president. He just needs to start taking responsibility.”

12th Grader, “I like him. I like what he’s doing, I think he’s doing an amazing job, and the dramatized media portrayal of him is ridiculous.”

9th Grader, “I don’t really like him because he’s [constantly talking about] building a wall to keep illegals out. But, what if he is splitting up families and they can’t get by?”

12th Grader, “I love Trump. He’s made a lot of things better. More than Obama by far.”

10th Grader, “During the election against Hillary, I wanted Trump to win. But, that was a mistake. He’s only trying to make peace with Korea, that’s about it.”

11th Grader, “I initially didn’t like him. But, he’s doing okay.”

12th grader, “I don’t dislike him, but I think he’s brought out the bad side of America. He was supposed to make America great again, but he’s made a bigger divide. He’s a great business man but I don’t think he’s fit to be president.”

As you can see, there were mixed feelings. Some liked him and thought he was doing a decent job, while others pointed out how divided he has made the country. A lot of the students I spoke with think everything is okay or is going to be okay. They acknowledge that Trump has made mistakes but largely seem to have moved past it. Some still joke about his face and orange skin, but most have matured in the discussion of politics at our school. Upperclassmen in particular seemed relatively well informed about the President’s activities.

[Even though some students did not request it, following the lead of the NY Times, we made the decision to protect the identities of all students quoted in this article. This decision was made to prevent further division or possible disruption at school.]

280 total views, 4 views today

1 Comment

One Response to “Students’ Voices: Thoughts on President Trump”

1. John Jiler on November 17th, 2018 1:22 pm

THE NOTORIOUS NINETEEN
    Dear Editor;
    Autumn is deepening, and seniors are thinking harder and harder about their next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.
    With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’re reaching out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses, but even those who don’t have encouraged or tolerated a state-wide lawless and violent culture. Our mission is to make these states known to high school seniors, whom we encourage NOT to apply to college in:
    ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, or WYOMING.
    We’ll be following up with letters to college presidents, Governors and legislators of the “Notorious Nineteen.” If they’re curious why their state-wide college applications are down this year, we’ll be happy to tell them!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. This is how the world changes. Good luck throughout senior year…… and beyond!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Students’ Voices: Thoughts on President Trump

Health

IRHS Observance of World AIDS Day 2018

Entertainment

Literary Club’s Annual Poetry Cafe Has Decent Turnout

Local

Student Thoughts on Short School Days for Parent Conferences

Local

Who is John Jiler?

Health

Thanksgiving takes a Dangerous turn…

Local

Tully’s Review: Best Chicken Tenders…or Not?

Entertainment

Theatre Students Take Trip to See “Possessing Harriet”

• Local

Warrior Pride Hits New Heights This Fall

• Local

Varsity Football Heads to Carrier Dome, Again

Local

Student Opinions on School Lunches

Student news site of Indian River High School.