Printed in Red, the Color of Blood

Chelsea Coss

The complete "Emergency Use" bag of items, including directions for use with "a sucking chest wound."

Chelsea Coss, Editor in Chief

There is something new to the Indian River classrooms this year. At the high school, a bright, red bag has quietly made an appearance in almost every room in the school; a bag containing medical supplies (and instructions) that are frankly, terrifying.

The bag is a clear zip-lock bag, with a red paper in the front, reading bold, “Emergency Use.” Inside it contains: A yellow paper and red tape -the paper reads about tourniquets, a pink paper that reads about what to do in situations such as collapsed lung, spinal damage, and knife or object impaled. It also contains: plastic gloves, two maxi pads, a shock blanket, and a heavy duty abdominal gauze (sized for a large wound).

The bag isn’t labeled “in case of gunshot wounds” but we can only assume this is preparing us for a possible school shooting. As a student, I find this both alarming and concerning. The school is actually preparing for such a tragic event, and sure, it’s only a safety precaution but most students never thought about it happening here, at our school. This new addition brings the thought back to mind, even as we prepare for the inevitable lockdown drill.

Upon going through the contents of the bag, I realized how little supplies they actually gave us. If someone were to really get shot, all we can do is apply pressure and tourniquets, give them a blanket, and just wait for someone to show up. We only have one gauze, so if multiple students are shot or one bleeds through the first one, we will have to resort to maxi pads (and even then, there’s only two).

We understand that this is better than nothing, and just helping us stay “prepared” for anything. This reporter is grateful that this has been issued, but this seems to be a bit more about appearances than actually useful in a violent scenario. How helpful can one gauze and some gloves really be?

The preceding is an Editorial, endorsed by the staff of Warrior Ink. This does not imply endorsement by faculty or staff members.