School Wifi Needs a Serious Upgrade, Now

Courtesy of Tribune News Service

So far, two buses in the Coachella Valley Unified School District have Wi-Fi technology. The district is still working on how to best use the technology on buses. A bus is pictured on Nov. 4, 2014 in Salton City, Calif. (Nichole Dobo/The Hechinger Report/TNS)

DeShawn Smith, Staff Reporter

Could you imagine a world without Wifi? I can, it’s called school. In school you can use school computers but more than half of the sites are blocked and the Wifi reception is terrible. Half of the assignments you get in school nowadays have to do with the internet. Google Docs, Google Apps, Google Everything…only works when the Wifi does!

How am I supposed to get good resources if half the sites are blocked? You look for resources and then the internet doesn’t work, possibly because it is using so much bandwidth to filter out all the stuff that 4th graders shouldn’t have access to.  But we aren’t 4th graders! A school-wide “Bring your own device” Wifi network would help students find information on their phone, that you couldn’t find on a blocked school computer. This is an issue that needs to be solved. 

Schools need to have an open Wifi so students can use their personal device to connect to the school and can go to any site they need to, so that they can accomplish their assignments. It doesn’t cost data for the user and teachers wouldn’t have to keep calling down to see what’s happening with internet.

Last week, I tried to work on this article and the internet went out constantly. I was like “BRUH, REALLY!” How would you feel if you went to school, you had an online assignment do and the internet doesn’t work? Yeah, it’s probably not personal, but students can’t help but feel annoyed and even disrespected when something so basic, basically doesn’t work.

At least put Wifi in the Library, Cafeteria, and Study Halls where students have the ability to use their phone and use it to their advantage. In some California schools, their buses have Wifi in them and meanwhile in our school we have hundreds of brand-new Chromebooks all trying to use some outdated and overloaded Wifi.

Internet costs money, but at least use the money wisely to buy useful and stronger Wifi. Stop spending on Internet that works slow and awfully.

Mike Davidson, head of design for Twitter, had a quote that really helped express my opinion:

Now that digital lifestyle devices, tablets, wireless phones, and other Internet appliances are beginning to come of age, we need to worry about presenting our content to these devices so that it is optimized for their display capabilities.”

Get Wifi make the internet faster and let kids use resources needed to complete their assignment.

Please note: the opinion(s) above are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of the entire WarriorInk staff, the teachers or administrators of Indian River High School, or the district Board of Education.  Although Mr. Anderson strongly endorses many of them.