Operation Christmas Child Partnered with NHS on Campus

Meghan Koerick, Staff Reporter

The Christmas season is all about giving. Here at IRHS, the members of the National Honor Society have partnered with a charitable organization called Samaritan’s Purse. This gives a perfect opportunity for people to give gifts to children that have never received a gift. Operation Christmas Child gives people a chance to give to children in third world countries.

Samaritan’s Purse wants all children to be able to receive a gift, which is something many children have never had. They also use it as a ministry to spread the word of God to children and give them an opportunity to learn more about God.

By doing Operation Christmas Child you can distribute shoeboxes filled with different gifts to children over two years old and under fourteen years old. You pick an age group and pack for either a boy or girl.

In the shoebox you can pack anything that you think a child would like. Exceptions include liquids or powders, used or damaged items, or anything war related–many children around the world live in or near active war zones.  The organization also restricts chocolate (since refrigeration isn’t available, outdated food, and breakable items. You should pack toys, school supplies, non liquid hygiene items, accessories and crafts. Samaritan’s purse also allows you to include a note and picture of yourself with your address, for the child receiving the gift, so they can write back.

You can even give your shoebox directly to the child you made it for, if you volunteer to go to the other countries and distribute the gifts. You have the chance to bless a child and maybe even their family. If you can’t go distribute them then you spend seven dollars to ship them to the foreign countries and to send someone to distribute them to the children.

There have been many stories told about people blessed by Samaritan’s Purse. Alina received a shoebox at age five in central Asia. According to Samaritan’s Purse  Alina said “What caught my eye were a pair of plastic princess shoes. Those shoes were like nothing I had ever seen. They were pink, and I loved the color pink. I got so excited when I put on those shoes. They were too big, but I still wore them. I tried to wear them as much as I could. I showed them to everyone.”

The smallest gifts that would not make a big impact on the average American person could make such a huge difference to a child who has never gotten anything like that. The chance to make a small difference in the world is so easy and will only take a little amount of time.