Forget NCAA–Record Breaking Night in the NBA

Courtesy Tribune News Service

Fan reactions from the Golden State Warriors' record-beating 73rd regular season win.

DeShawn Smith, Staff Reporter

Last night on April 13, 2016, several records were broken, some thought to be impossible to break.

The Golden State Warriors have beaten the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls’ record for most wins in the regular season, with their 73rd victory. The Warriors played the Memphis Grizzlies and won handily, 125 to 104.

Steve Kerr, Golden State Warrior’s head coach, said, “It’s a great way to finish off what was an amazing regular season. I just told our guys I never in a million years would have guessed that record would ever be broken.” This is coming from a guy who was part of the Bulls 72-10 record.

Stephen Curry led the way with 46 points and also broke a single season record. With Curry’s 10 threes, he is the first NBA player to hit 400 threes in a single season. He now holds the record with 402 three-pointers in a season.

“At a certain point, about eight minutes in the first quarter, I was able to toe the line a couple times, knock it down and things started to flow. I was searching for it at that point because I made a couple. Kind of let it come to me and then have some fun with it,” said Curry to an ESPN reporter.

The Golden State Warriors aren’t the only California team that have broken records. Kobe Bryant (who had announced his imminent retirement) and the Los Angeles Lakers collected a win against the Utah Jazz, 101 to 96. Kobe broke the record for most points scored in the final game of their career with 60 points. He is also the only player to score 50 plus points in their final NBA game. He shot 22 out of 50 (44%) from the the field. No one has attempted 50 shots in a game in over 30 years. Kobe ended his career as a winner; he spoke to the fans before leaving the arena, thanking them for years of support.

Tray Bell, Sophomore at Indian River High School had following to say about Kobe Bryant, “Kobe is the greatest player to play in the game. How many points did Jordan have in his final game?… 15! Kobe had 60!”

In Portland, a record was set by Damian Lillard. Damian Lillard has the franchise record for most threes on the team. He surpassed Wesley Matthews who had 826 threes for the franchise, Damian Lillard has 828 threes for the franchise.

Fellow IRHS Senior Vasilios said, “I think records are meant to be broken. Kobe is a legend and I’m glad he finished his career with greatness. I’m glad I got to witness the record for most wins in a single season. It is very rare and it’s just… crazy!”

All this proves once again the old adage, records are made to be broken.