IR Remembers Brennen Stevens

Bre Williams

The remembrance banner, signed by many IR athletes and other students.

Bre Williams, Staff Reporter

Gouverneur High School varsity football player, Brennen D. Stevens,17, was killed in a  single-vehicle accident on Friday, October 14. Another driver noticed the wreck and notified authorities. Stevens was the only person in the car at the time. Authorities say that when they arrived at the scene they saw that the car was crashed into a tree off Route 58, near Gouverneur.

At press time, what may have caused the accident is still under investigation by State Police.

Gouverneur High canceled the varsity football game that Friday against Massena, and the coach, Devlin Sean, had a team meeting about this tragedy instead. They postponed the game until Saturday at 1:30 pm.  According to Watertown Daily Times coverage, Coach Sean said that “it was good to see kids who may not be friends, may not hang out with, consoling with each other.”

A funeral service for Stevens was held on October 19  at the United Methodist Church at 1:00 pm. Calling hours for Brennen were at French Funeral Home the day before, and packed with students from several schools. General Brown Coach Doug Black brought a full bus to the calling hours Tuesday. The Lions scrimmage against Gouverneur often during the preseason.

Our Indian River football team wore their jerseys and walked from Gouverneur High School to French Funeral Home to show their respects for Stevens. As part of their remembrance, the school asked that all students wear pink to represent Brennen, being that was his favorite color. Students also made a banner where they signed their names and left short messages for Brennen as well.

Stevens was a senior at Gouverneur Central School, and played as a wide receiveron the varsity team. In addition to playing football, Stevens also participated in Varsity track. He excelled at the triple jump and was a Section 10 champion for indoor, and outdoor track.  He leaves behind three sisters and one brother. He enjoyed family game night, fishing and hunting.