Longtime IR Community Member Carol Thornton Passes

Screenshot from Mrs. Thornton's obituary.

Mattylynn Dusharm, Staff Reporter

Seventy-four-year old Carol Thornton from the Theresa, Redwood area had passed away on the night of Saturday Oct. 22nd, of natural causes. She had been living in a nursing home in Ogdensburg since June of 2015.

Her parents were Malcom and Eleanor Frazier. She was born March 26th in the town of Redwood. Thornton also graduated from Indian River High School in 1960, but that’s when the high school was located in what is now Theresa Primary, because back then the district population wasn’t as large.

Her first marriage happened to be with Niles G. Busler but they divorced after a short while. Later she married Robert “Rod” Thornton, who passed in May 2013. 

Mrs. Thornton worked as a secretary at Indian River High School and Theresa Primary School for a total of thirty-one years, and there are many in the district who still remember her. She retired in 2003 at the age of sixty-one. Thornton was a member of the Jefferson County Association for Educational Secretaries, and the Thousands Islands Bluegrass Association.

Thornton leaves two sons who have wives, their names are Robert and Brenda Busler and Timothy and Kelly Busler, who are all residents of Theresa, she also had seven grandchildren and five great grandchildren. She will be missed by a huge family that she made possible.

Calling hours were at Costello Funeral Home in Alexandria Bay. Private graveside services were in Oakwood Cemetery, 

The River Hospital and Redwood Rescue Squad will be taking memorial donations from the community.

The Indian River community was also saddened recently by the passing of custodian Todd Regan, after a protracted battle with cancer.