‘Alt-Reich’ Member Charged in Fatal Stabbing of Black Student

Screenshot from the UM Police department press release.

Daniella Pimpinella, Staff Reporter

The FBI is now looking into whether the fatal stabbing of a black student by a white student at the University of Maryland was a hate crime.

Sean Christopher Urbanski, was taken to jail on murder charges for the killing of Richard Collins III Saturday morning, according to the authorities.

Mr. Collins, who had just been commissioned as a second lieutenant in the US Army two days before, was visiting friends at the college campus when he was stabbed in the chest with a knife.  He was due to graduate from Bowie State the next day.

According to the article, local police asked the FBI to help in the investigation after discovering Mr. Urbanski belonged to a Facebook group called “Alt-Reich Nation.”  The group members post all kinds of ugly things hating on African Americans, women, Jews and others.

“We are here to evaluate that as an ongoing concern with respect to whether or not this was a hate crime,” Gordon Johnson, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Baltimore field office, told reporters on Sunday.

Police said Mr Collins was with two friends near a bus stop on campus at around 3am.

According to BBC coverage, some witnesses told the police they heard Urbanski yelling something about “stepping left” before he confronted Collins and his friends.

Collins apparently said “no” before Urbanski allegedly impaled him once in the chest. Mr. Collins was confirmed dead when he arrived at Prince George’s County shock trauma center.

Two police officers reportedly found Urbanski sitting on a bench about 50ft from where Mr Collins was stabbed.  At press time, he is being held without bail as a danger to the community.  He is being charged with first- and second-degree murder as well as first-degree assault.

Police are still investigating the case and trying to figure out what went wrong.