Student news site of Indian River High School.

Warrior Ink

Kathy Griffin Releases Photo of a Decapitated Donald Trump

Trevor Wickstrom, Staff Reporter

Kathy Griffin released a photo of her holding, what appears to be Donald Trump’s decapitated head, with blood covering his “head.”

In the wake of Trump’s election, Democrats and Republicans have been butting heads in increasingly angry ways. The division in America between members of the two parties is unmatched in recent political history.  In my opinion, this type of imagery has gone too far.

According to Fox News, “CNN announced Wednesday the network will be ending Kathy Griffin’s hosting duties for its New Year’s Eve program after the comedian’s disturbing photo shoot with a bloodied Trump mask.”

The Washington Times, on January 24th, 2017, released a article about a prison inmate that sent death threats to former President Barrack Obama and a Federal Judge. The result of these threats was a lengthy 4 year prison sentence.

Why is it, when a liberal celebrity like Madonna, who according to CNN stated “Yes, I’m angry. Yes, I am outraged. Yes, I have thought an awful lot about blowing up the White House,” nothing is done. 

Cornell Law School provides U.S codes, including U.S Code 871, which states, “Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.”

Madonna made obvious threats against the White House and Kathy Griffin made an implied threat against President Trump.

Some pundits and members of the public are asking, why are these childish comments not taken more seriously, or given more consequences? Or when someone in the public eye like Kathy Griffin comes along and releases a picture, that resembles ISIS photos, nothing else is done, besides being scolded and fired.

No matter if you hate the current president, it is unlawful and to make these comments and photographs implying the death of a grandfather, father, brother and president.

329 total views, 2 views today