Warrior Ink

An Argument Supporting Title IX in Sports

Anderson Graphics

Anderson Graphics

Tyler Petterson, Contributor

[Ed: the following piece was composed for Mr. Struchen’s Sports Writing class, and shared with Warrior Ink; the citations are included as part of the original document and as a model for other students.]

Serena Williams, Ronda Rousey, and Danica Patrick; all prominent athletes in various sports. The illustrious careers of these women may have not happened had it not been for Title IX. Title IX, a law passed in 1972, states that “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”

The law allowed more females to further their level in both education and athletics. Female athletes have increased in numbers substantially and they continue to rise. Title IX was made to allow female athletes greater opportunity and generally it has succeeded. Therefore, it should not be changed.

Title IX has been the backbone in the rise of female sports on all levels. Women in amateur, collegiate, and professional leagues have all benefited from the law. It has provided women with a way to further themselves both athletically and educationally. When asked about Title IX, one woman states, “I was a benefactor of Title IX. As a young girl who played golf growing up, I dreamt of playing in college, so when I received the opportunity to do so at the University of Washington, I was beyond excited. Because of my golfing prowess and the powers of Title IX, I received a full scholarship and graduated debt free from college,” (Alvarez). She received financial assistance and was allowed to continue playing a sport she held close to her heart. She was both recognized and awarded due to her “prowess” in golf, something that may not have been recognized if Title IX had not been passed.

Although Title IX provides educational opportunities, it deals heavily with sports. Its involvement with sports has allowed for female athletes to make arguments for their respective athletics. Lily Rothman states, “Because almost every college in the U.S. receives some kind of federal funding, female athletes were able to use Title IX to argue that schools should take women’s athletics as seriously as they did men’s” (Rothman). Since the law applies to a great majority of schools, those same schools were required to provide equal opportunities for the female athletes. Title IX has allowed females of many different backgrounds to further advance in the sports they love.

There are some, however, that think that Title IX should be changed to accommodate today’s society. Some of those against Title IX note, “Title IX has inflicted significant collateral damage, including increased health risks for the players, a drop in the number of women coaches, and increased exposure to sexual abuse” (Flanagan, Greenberg). Another main issue is the increase in sexual assault [that unfortunately followed female athletes into male-dominated spaces]. The survivors of these situations tend to need someone who they can trust; however, mandatory reporting issued by Title IX makes this difficult. “Mandatory reporting is not training employees to respond empathetically or even to engage in active listening. It is a requirement for employees to report someone else’s personal information, a potentially painful, traumatizing and embarrassing incident” (Rights). So with the knowledge that their incident will be reported, victims are less likely to report the assaults.  

Nonetheless, Title IX has done what it was supposed to for 45 years. Therefore, it does not need to be changed. It has brought the idea of professional female athletes into view and has given them the facilities and programs they needed to get there. It has brought about multiple opportunities for female student-athletes to further both their educations and careers. Title IX has played a key role in shaping today’s society and will continue to change the future.

Works Cited

Alvarez, Anya. “Title IX’s 45th Anniversary: Why We Still Need It.” www.theshadowleague.com/story/title-ix-s-45th-anniversary-why-we-still-need-it.

Flanagan, Linda and Greenberg, Susan H. “How Title IX Hurts Female Athletes.” The
Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 27 Feb. 2012,
www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/02/how-title-ix-hurts-female-athletes/253525/.

Rights, Cybill. “Inside Higher Ed.” How Title IX Can Work against the Interests of Sexual
Assault Survivors (Essay).  www.insidehighered.com/advice/2017/06/30/how-title-ix-can-work-against-interests-sexual-assault-survivors-essay.  

Rothman, Lily. “Title IX at 45: Amendment’s Early Impact on Women’s Sports.” Time.
time.com/4822600/title-ix-womens-sports/.

134 total views, 0 views today