Varsity Girls Basketball Season Preview

Kwazsi Gaddis, Sports Editor

The Indian River warriors Girls Basketball team is coming into this year’s season with a new mindset. The girls finished 16-7 in last year’s basketball season, losing in the Carrier Dome to Jamesville Dewitt.

With not many returning seniors and a very young team this year, the girls still feel pretty confident, even before official try-outs, coming into the winter sports season.

However, the girls do have people returning who received some good playing time last season, who now have another year of experience under their belts.

Led by senior Nia Gray, the Warriors seem to be in good hands. In response to questions from Warrior Ink, it seems Nia is looking forward to have a great season with a lot to prove.

Averaging 8.9 points per game last season, when asked how many points she wanted to average this season, Nia responded  “I’m looking to double that.”

When I asked Nia how she felt coming into this upcoming season, she replied “It’s gonna be one of the best seasons we’ve had in a while, we’re hungry”.

Rising freshman Adrien Lamora, who averaged 6.7 points per game and scored a total of 155 points on the season. Lamora, in intermural play, looks to be a major factor for Lady Warriors basketball.

Despite that sectional loss to Jamesville Dewitt, the girls still finished 9-2 overall which was the best in their Frontier League.

The lady Warriors look to take the league again this year as well, and also to rock the Carrier Dome with Warrior Pride. Time will tell if the younger players will step up.