Warrior Ink

How to Cope with Social Anxiety

Makayla Parker, Health Editor

Social phobia, or social anxiety, is very common these days. Signs of social anxiety include various things such as, shyness, fear of being near others, fear of talking to others, and fear of doing a presentation or public speaking.

Not everyone with social anxiety deal with it the same ways, it’s different for everyone. The main thing everyone with social anxiety has, is being shy, and being afraid of talking in front of others.

It’s okay to be shy.

Usually people who have social anxiety, have low self-esteem. They are known as quiet, so they think that people think less of them. People with social anxiety don’t talk about themselves because they fear that they will be rejected by society.

Social anxiety is something people usually don’t talk about. It is very difficult for someone who has it to be able to communicate with others.

I’m going to give some advice and tips on how to cope with social anxiety, some are my personal opinions. You don’t have to follow all of these or any of these if you don’t want to but I implore you to try at least one out:

• Challenge yourself. If you want to have friends, (some people don’t which is fine) challenge yourself to have at least a few conversations with someone you know at school, or maybe someone you don’t really talk to. Doing this will help you to be more confident in yourself, if you think you messed up, it’s alright! Just remember that everyone makes mistakes, nobody’s life is perfect.
  • If you have a presentation to do in class, write some things on an index card, and practice with a parent, or a sibling to help boost your confidence. Not only will it help your nerves but you will know exactly what to say.
  • If you don’t like to eat in front of others, try and break that habit. Don’t ever let society stop you from eating. I know it’s hard to ignore society, I know it is, but don’t let them affect your eating habits. It’s very important have your 3 meals everyday.

There are many more ways to cope with social anxiety, it’s different for everyone. Don’t let society get to you. Be yourself, be independent and strong. Do what you have to do in order to reach your goals.

It’s very important to remember, you are not alone, everyone deals with these things in some way.