Spirit Week Friction: Tie-Dye Day vs. “Redneck” Day

Marissa McDonald, Contributor

People don’t always agree on one thing. There’s always two sides to every story. The Indian River School District has a lot of students with different opinions. Even on trivial things such as Spirit Week. The homecoming committee decided that Wednesday’s theme would be Tie-Dye day, but not everyone was on board with that as a representation of student spirit.

“I supported Redneck Day, it originally was a joke and made as an ironic post. Then people screenshotted it and reposted it so me and my group went with the idea and made it a reality, certain students absolutely hated it and I actually got yelled at by another student twice in the same day. My appeal to it was, because it was controversial and it was actually funny it made someone so mad that it actually caused genuine hurt feelings. I think about ten kids actually did it with me and I thought [that] was cool, it was more than expected. I didn’t like Tie-Dye, it was rather simple and dare I say a lazy idea for spirit week…” stated senior Ken Melton. Melton and a couple of his other peers had started the “Redneck Day” idea on social media out of boredom, and as a sort of protest of what they saw as a repetitive theme for spirit week.

Many people (mostly underclassmen and a select handful of seniors) had a rather large issue with this even though it appears so trivial. They were so affected by rage, by someone doing something other than what a small group of people decided on, that they decided to verbally attack and berate some of those who decided to participate. Some people glared at participants in the hallway and chittered angrily to their friends in passing.

One of the people against Redneck Day was very mild in her reaction and didn’t seem too bothered the protest. A senior who decided to voice their opinion, Tara Parody, stated, “I don’t understand why Redneck Day vs. Tie-Dye day is such a big deal. If you don’t like Tie-Dye day, just don’t dress up. I don’t see the point in dressing up as a Redneck just because you don’t like Tie-Dye and think it’s boring. If it affects you so much, then why didn’t you go to the [HoCo] committee meeting and put in you vote against it and give a viable option instead. There’s no point in fighting or arguing over this.”

If you don’t want something to happen that you don’t like then make sure your vote is counted in. We have been taught as students that if you don’t like something then find a way to change it, that is exactly what Melton did. It is not wrong to want to do something that you don’t like or care about. If you want to do something, just do it, or if you don’t know how to, just don’t participate.