Knife Attacks in France By Muslim Extremists Leave 4 Dead

Composite image by the author.

Summer Bernard, Staff Reporter

Over the past few weeks, at least 4 people have died from knife attacks, one being decapitated, one being close to decapitated, and two others stabbed. This has caused quite the controversy over the past few weeks between the French government and the Muslim community as both suspects were apart of the Muslim community. So how did this start? And where is it right now?

French teacher beheaded 

On October 16, 2020 in Eragny, Paris, Samuel Paty, 47, was murdered in the streets of paris by Abdullakh Anzorov, 18, after a controversial cartoon was shown in his younger siblings class.

Samuel Paty was a French history teacher. One day in class, Paty was teaching about the freedom of speech and the freedom to believe and not believe. While teaching, Paty asked some students to step out of the classroom if they were muslim, as what he was going to show them might be offensive. The cartoon he showed was a picture of a nude man who he said was the Prophet Muhammad. Word eventually got out online when a student told her father about it and the next day, Paty apologized and the principal sent out an email explaining the situation.

Then on October 16, Abdullakh Anzorov, an older sibling of one of Paty’s students, went up to Paty near the school, and decapitated him with a knife while shouting “Allahu akbar.” Anzorov was later shot dead by the police.

3 dead after church attack

In Niche, France, three people died in a knife attack at church on Thursday morning. None of the victims have been named at this point but the first one was a woman in her 60’s, the second one was a 55 year old man who was a member of the church, and the third was a 44 year old woman.

The suspect is not confirmed but is said to be Brahim Aioussaoi. He was also shot by the police but is in the hospital. He was also said to be saying “Allahu akbar.”

What Now?

This has now caused some tension between the Muslim community and France. France has now shut down a few Muslim aid groups, closed a major mosque, and conducted dozen of raids against suspected Islamic extremists. These incidents are being considered terrorism-related by the President of France, Emmanuel Macron. Schools and religious sites are now being increased with security around the country.

Many of the Muslim community from the Middle East to Asia are protesting against the French government and boycotting French goods after President Macron said it was okay to show those cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad. Many also feel that Macron and the French government is fighting their religion, not the extremist of some people and feel targeted by the government.

So, is this terrorism, by the traditional definition? Is it fair to shut down Muslim mosques and aid sites? Should President Macron be able to “crackdown” on the Muslim community? Will there be more attacks?