Why Bean Juice Helps Our Brain Juice

Composite image by the author.

Madison Raap, Managing Editor

Do you know those aesthetic looking coffee shops? The ones where you see college girls sipping cold brews while studying for their mid-term? Well, why are they studying for their mid-term in a coffee shop? 

According to the BBC, “Some of the most successful people in history have done their best work in coffee shops. Pablo PicassoJK Rowling, Bob Dylan – whether they’re painters, singer-songwriters, philosophers or writers, people across nations and centuries have tapped into their creativity working away at a table in a café.”

Scientific research shows that the combination of the noise, crowds, and scenery in coffee shops help stimulate our minds and make us more creative. Though the coffee probably helps your mind get going too, we aren’t gonna give all the credit to the baristas. 

Noise and Crowds

Crying babies, coffee beans being ground, and orders being yelled out don’t seem to help when we are studying and trying to learn. However, a 2012 study in the Journal of Consumer Research showed that the level of background noise can actually boost your creative thinking output. The idea behind this is that if your slightly distracted from your task it can boost your thinking ability even more. 

Another factor is that there are other people going to be studying in the coffee shop, the same as you. They can act as motivators because you see them studying and immediately want to do the same as them or even better than them. 

Visual Stimulation

Coffee shops are full of fun artwork, shapes, and colors. Visual stimulation is known to have an effect on the way we work and think. This is why it is harder to do work in your own home as your surroundings are too similar and boring.

Informal Atmosphere

A work meeting in a Zoom call is a lot more formal than if you were to meet them around a table in a coffee shop. You would be so much more relaxed meeting in a coffee shop than through a computer. It is also easier to build a friendship and camaraderie with people when you meet them face to face. 

All these factors help bring that creative and aesthetic feel to a coffee shop. Sunken Lee, assistant professor of organizational theory and strategy at Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business in Pennslyvania, believes these “past experiences of the positive aspects of coffee shops” will lure us out of our homes eventually.